Safety. Something we all need in every aspect of our lives, be it our home or workplace everyone deserves to be in a safe space. This is why PAT test is important and a requirement for keeping your property safe of electrical harm.
However, many people still don’t know what PAT testing is and what it entails. Here is a short guide for you to know everything you will ever need to know about PAT testing in Ireland before you hire an electrician.
What Is PAT Testing?
Firstly, this is an inspection that is done to check the electrical appliances in the property and mark them as safe to use. This is done so that there are no incidents or accidents on the property regarding electrical appliances.
This testing is done both visually and through special equipment. Once this inspection is done your equipment may be marked as “pass” or “fail”.
What Is Included In PAT Testing?
Not all electrical equipment is included in a PAT testing. Here is a list of appliances that one should get PAT tested for the safety of yourself and others in the workplace:
- Handheld devices
- Portable appliances
- Fixed appliances
- Moveable appliances
- IT appliances
- Stationary appliances
You must maintain all these appliances so they are in a safe condition to be used by other people.
Why PAT Testing Is Important?
Many people leave this important testing out as they don’t deem it to be too necessary. However, it should not be ignored and here are a few reasons why PAT test is important:
- Maintain a safe environment in the workplace
- Protect the employees and any other people that visit the premises regularly
- Maintains professionalism in the workplace
- Maintains the integrity of the workplace
- Protects the business from prosecution as PAT testing needs to be complied with
- Your insurance plan may require to get your PAT testing done
This is why a PAT test is important and needs to be done so that the risk in your workplace is reduced. Appliances can get damaged or the constant wear and tear can make them a danger to safely use.
This is why regular PAT testing in Ireland needs to be done so that everything in the workplace can work optimally and everyone can stay safe.
How Often Should You Get Your Appliances PAT Tested?
There are different types of requirements for different workplaces. Here is how often it is recommended for your premises to get PAT tested:
- Schools should get class one appliances tested annually and class two appliances tested every four years
- Offices, hotels, and shops need to get handheld appliances tested annually. Moveable appliances tested every two years and class one equipment every four years
- Construction sites should get their equipment tested after every three months
If you are running a business then you must get your equipment tested by an RECI certified electrician according to the regulations and requirements. For more information, contact us now!